When you think about the brand Burberry, you might think about the checkered (a bit old-fashioned?) brown purses, coats and scarfs that are way too expensive to buy all by yourself. But this British luxury fashion brand is not that outdated as you might think. In fact, Burberry and Google have recently teamed up for a romantic and innovative new project, Burbery kisses, which fits into the Google’s Art, Copy & Code project.
Sealed with a personal kiss
This project uses new technology to allow users to capture and send a kiss to anyone in the world, using their mobile phone or a webcam. The only thing you have to do is give a real life kiss to your phone or webcam, which will transform it into a digital kiss print which in turn seals a digital letter. That letter can be sent to someone you love, no matter where that person is located. According to the chief creative officer of Burberry, Christopher Baily, “Burberry Kisses began with the idea of giving technology a bit of heart and soul, using it to unite the Burberry family across the world, by telling a story that makes the digital personal.”
A heritage brand embracing new technologies
Through this initiative, Burberry is simultaneously building on its history while embracing new technologies, which is always a tough balancing act for a heritage brand. However, what they are really trying to do is reimagine how luxury marketing is done on the web for Millennials and do it from the lens of beauty products. In this way, Burberry can show off its younger, more playful side as well as its digital prowess: all important traits in attracting Millennials eager to spend their dollars.
And it’s not the first time Burberry is appealing to Generation Y by building a reputation of being one of the few luxury brands to get digital. Previous actions like Tweetwalk, Burberry Bespoke and Burberry World Live have already proven that this fashion brand has successfully managed to merge the digital and physical worlds to bring rich, dynamic and interactive experiences to its fans.
Kiss and tell!
So what are you waiting for? Follow the guidelines and experience it yourself!
- Go to kisses.burberry.com
- Plant a kiss on your phone screen and watch it transform into a digital kiss print (you can even choose the lipstick shade ;))
- Send it together with a short message to someone you love
- Once sent, you can watch your kiss being transported from wherever you are in the world, to wherever your recipient is, through 3D skylines, using Google Earth technologies
- Eventually, your kiss will land in their inbox
- Once the love is spread, visit the World of Kisses online, (a map that shows real-time kisses being sent around the globe) and find out who else shared some love as well.
And if people around you in the office or at the bus stop are watching you like you are some crazy person, just spread the word and let them do the same :).